We are happy to announce the release of the recurse package on CRAN. You can install it with
install.packages("recurse"). The recurse package analyzes animal trajectory data for returns to a previously visited area and calculates associated metrics like residence time, time between visits, and entrance and exit times. Revisited sites are frequently ecologically significant, such as dens/nests/roosts, foraging areas, watering holes, or other important resources.
Here is a simple demonstration using simulated data. The package supports single or multiple individuals and works with basic data frames or Move or MoveStack objects.
martinvisit = getRecursions(martin, radius = 2)
Some examples of analyses possible with the recurse package:
- Identify frequently-used locations across one or multiple individuals
- Pre-specify locations of interest or examine all trajectory locations
- Visit-level analysis of time of day, duration, time since last visit, etc. and combine with other information (e.g, behavioral segmentation)
- Spatially/temporally coincident visit covariates (e.g., NDVI, temperature, snow etc.)
- Intervisit interval consistency at and across locations